At GSLC we are always looking for ways in which we can serve God and our neighbor. This includes the ways in which we go out into the community and witness to our faith in Jesus Christ.
At Good Shepherd, we try to think of stewarding the blessings God has first given us as a response to God's everlasting love for us. The giving back of the time we have, the gifts and abilities we have been given, and the money we earn is how we try to practice living a generous life as a Steward of God's Love.
"Giving leads to mission and mission informs giving"
The first Sunday in September after Labor Day is called "God's work. Our hands." Sunday and it is a churchwide day of service for the local community.
- Our Youth Group is very active in serving the congregation and local community.
- Our Mission Ministries Committee works to provide school and health kits for those in need through Lutheran World Relief.
- GSLC is a welcome place for groups like Scouts, AA and Al-Anon weekly meetings, along with CVS Mobile Flu Shot Clinics and American Red Cross Blood Drives.
- The Mission Ministries Committee sponsors a Fall "Chicken Booyah" meal which is open to the public. Held on Reformation Sunday, the last Sunday in October, this community meal is open to anyone.
Good Shepherd participates in a competition during January against other congregations in the area viaing to become the 'Souper Bowl' champion in a month-long food drive.
- Our High School Youth open a bi-weekly Equal Exchange Coffee and Chocolate store after worship. The store features, among other things, fairly traded organic coffee, rich chocolate bars, handmade wrapping paper, and olive oil. All items are sold at cost and it's a great way to support small scale farmers and justice oriented commerce.
In the spring Good Shepherd hosts a 'Cookout for Cancer' to support the work of the American Cancer Society and the Relay for Life.
Our high school age students raise money for, and attend, an ELCA-wide, National Youth Gathering every 3 years. The next Gathering is being hosted in Houston, Texas in June 2018. This event is a time for about 30,000 youth from across the country to descend upon a city, serve that community in various ways, worship together, have fun together, and let the Spirit of God work in these young people. For more info, check out the Gathering website.